Calvary Hospital provides an extensive continuum of care, including:
Family Care/Social Work: As Calvary’s Executive Medical Director, Dr. Michael J. Brescia, says, “Cancer metastasizes to the entire family.” Our Family Care/Social Work staff understands the direct link between the family’s wellbeing and the patient’s condition. Family Care provides an array of services free of charge to help relieve the family’s stress and help them cope with the illness of their loved one. The Family Care Center, located at the Bronx campus, offers respite from the medical floors and education about cancer screenings.
- Pastoral Care: With 24 Hospital chaplains of all faith traditions on staff, Calvary’s Pastoral Care Service is the largest of any hospital in the metropolitan area. Pastoral caregivers are integral members of the caregiving team, and they are available around the clock. Calvary@Home has a staff of five chaplains, who are also available 24/7.
- Bereavement Support: Calvary provides bereavement services for adults, adolescents, and young children. Groups for adults are available in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Groups for teens and children provide age-appropriate bereavement activities. All groups are offered at no charge, and they are open to those who have lost a loved one at Calvary or in the community at large.
- Nutrition: At Calvary, we recognize that food is more than nutrition. The nutritional services staff makes every effort to provide appetizing and appealing meals prepared to each patient’s satisfaction. Menus that offer several choices and a variety of substitutions are available. Special attention is given to presenting and maintaining meals at the proper temperatures. At all meals, a Cancer Care Technician is available to sit with patients to assist with eating, so that patients can eat at their own pace. We do our best to accommodate special requests and needs, such as kosher or vegetarian meals.
- Therapeutic recreation: Activities give patients a sense of accomplishment and bring meaning to each day. Activities include: drawing, sculpture, and ceramics projects; horticulture; social hours, offering games and discussions; bingo; and music therapy. Therapeutic Recreation also sponsors special presentations, including performances by Juilliard students and, initiated in 2009, concerts by “Sing for Your Seniors,” throughout the year.
- Music therapy: Available for inpatients at our Bronx and Brooklyn locations, and also for our hospice patients. We use music therapy for both patients and family members, to reduce stress and help comfort them and ease their sorrow. In keeping with our mission to share our knowledge and experience with others, Calvary is recognized as a national clinical training site by the American Music Therapy Association.
- Palliative Care Institute: Calvary’s research and teaching arm, whose mission is to transmit the expertise that Calvary has developed in palliative care into hospitals, clinics, and long-term care facilities throughout our area and beyond.